Bumrungrad plans our direction in 2022 – shifting the future of healthcare
Bumrungrad used the occasion of our recent important press conference, “Bumrungrad: Shifting the Future of Healthcare” to announce our vision and future direction. Bumrungrad has maintained the international standards of safety, which have been key to the brand for more than 42 years. With our medical advancement and innovative technology. Bumrungrad is now ready to drive the medical healthcare industry in Thailand—maximizing its strength as an internationally recognized medical and wellness destination.
Pharmacist Artirat Charukitpipat, CEO of Bumrungrad International Hospital, reveals, “As of 2022, Bumrungrad has been in operation for 42 years and we still hold true to our initial vision, when Bumrungad was first established. That is, we thrive to be a Thai hospital which meets international safety standards to deliver healthcare services and the best treatments to every visitor. We do not solely aim to make profit, but we also take corporate social responsibility into account.
Moving forward to response to an important global healthcare trend, Bumrungrad is determined to be the leader of implementation of Smart Healthcare 5.0 to provide holistic medical care to our patients. We will always comply with international standards of safety while extending our services to provide long term medical care to our lifetime value health partners of all ages for community wellbeing. Regarding our future direction, Bumrungrad is devoted to improving quaternary care and expanding our centers of excellence to develop expertise in the treatment of every complex medical condition. Our multidisciplinary teams of medical professionals work together to deliver the best treatment. Our strengths lie in the 3C’s and 1W of Quality Care.
- Critical care – At Bumrungrad, our team of critical care physicians is certified by the American Board of Critical Care Medicine. Our innovative medical technology and systematic management keeps team performance in top shape and ready to deliver 24/7 care.
- Complicated care – At Bumrungrad, teams of specialists with expertise and experience in treating complex medical conditions in patients with multiple co-morbidities or with conditions that are difficult to diagnose collaborate to deliver the best treatment. The Center of Excellence provide holistic treatment for every medical condition as well as organ transplantation. Our specialists are highly recognized experts who have more than 30 years of experience in organ transplantation, including kidney, heart, liver, and eye transplants. Bumrungrad is the first private hospital in Thailand which successfully performed heart transplants in patients with congestive heart failure.
- Collaboration of Expertise – At Bumrungrad, our multidisciplinary teams of physicians and specialists collaborate to deliver the medical care which yields best results. For example, in the treatment of rare diseases, which are not easy to diagnose, our teams of physicians and healthcare professionals regularly conference to discuss diagnoses and treatment options, customized to the needs of each patient. More than 80% of the rare diseases we diagnose at Bumrungrad are hereditary, like Lysosomal Storage Disorders (LSD) or Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS).
- Wellness and Prevention – Bumrungrad has provided wellness and preventative care for more than 21 years. Wellness and preventative care is also a major trend in medical care provision. Our VitalLife Scientific Wellness Center delivers customized innovative medical care. Bumrungrad also provides genomic and genetic testing, so we are able to predict future health conditions for our patients to plan to combat hereditary conditions. Genomic and genetic testing helps predict and prevent drug allergy, so we can choose appropriate doses of medicine for our patients. Furthermore, Bumrungrad uses this type of testing to assess the risk of possible genetic disorders during pregnancy.
Bumrungrad is internationally recognized for our medical care because of our three long-held principles.
- Innovation – Bumrungrad is an organization which is open to technological advancements in medical care and treatment. We always take into account the effectiveness of diagnostics and treatments for the best possible results. For instance, we provide minimally invasive surgery which allows for more targeted treatment and minimizes surgical trauma, so the patients recover fast and are less likely to experience post-surgical infections. To illustrate, we deliver water vapor therapy for BPH, cryoablation, and AI Lunit, which assists physicians in diagnosing and devising more accurate treatment plans. We have adopted robotic assisted surgery using the Da Vinci surgical system to perform surgical procedures on multiple organ systems. We also provide comprehensive genomic and genetic testing.
- Academic Hospital – The research and development division at Bumrungrad plays a key role in supporting the ongoing studies and research of our physicians, dentists, and healthcare professionals. We aim to create knowledge & medical innovations while providing healthcare & related services. We formed academic collaborations with national academic institutions and universities such as King Mongkut’s Institute of Technology, Ladkrabang, CMKL University, and the Chulabhorn International College of Medicine, Thammasat University or CICM. We also fund research on medical advancements and academic conferences & workshops run by specialists at Bumrungrad to transfer knowledge and experience to the public. For instance, we have organized an International Training Course for Full-endoscopic Operations since 2012, and we have arranged International Cardiology Annual Meetings since 2015 to enable physicians to diagnose and treat cardiac arrhythmia, which can lead to sudden death.
- Unique Culture – Bumrungrad has crafted, what we call our “Rich Heritage,” over the course of more than 42 years. The “Rich Heritage” principles include agility, un-complacency, and compassionate care. To illustrate, we quickly adapt to changing situations. We never stop being uncritical of our own success and all of us are determined to improve. We are adaptive to technology and receive international safety accreditations for the utmost benefits of our patients. Finally, we provide compassionate care to our patients and our staff as if they were our own beloved family members.
- Partnership – Bumrungrad has a clear policy to find new business partners to meet the needs of our clients across different segments of society. So far Bumrungrad has partnered with M.K. Real Estate Development Public Company Limited and Minor International to run the VitalLife Scientific Wellness Centers. We launched the RAKxa Wellness & Medical Retreat at Bang Krachao, which is the first fully integrated wellness & medical retreat in Asia. At RAKxa, we combine knowledge of medical science and holistic wellness to deliver the best healthcare experience to our clients. The Bumrungrad Health Network also extends our Bumrungrad brand and international standards of safety to new segments through our partner hospitals. For example, Absolute Spine Care & Joint Surgery Center partners with Princ Hospital Suvarnabhumi, Absolute Spine Care partners with Nakornthon Hospital. Horizon Cancer Center partners with Pitsanuvej Hospital in Phitsanulok province. Recently, we launched comprehensive genomic and genetic testing services to detect genetic abnormalities with Sawasdirad Medical Clinic in Nakhon Ratchasima province to expand our extensive medical services to the people throughout Thailand. We have partnered with non-medical businesses including Siam Piwat, Central Group, The Mall Group, Ananda Development, and Sansiri to promote our customized wellness plan to each customer.”
Assoc. Prof. Dr. Taveesin Tanprayoon, Chief Medical Officer of Bumrungrad International Hospital, adds, “Physicians play key roles in strengthening our corporate culture. At Bumrumrad, physicians maintain international medical standards and ethics. We recruit new physicians who have expertise and experience to team up with our current specialists to treat all medical conditions and deliver the best medical care experience and treatment results to each of our patients.
In the year 2022, Bumrungrad will focus on two medical advancements: robotic surgery and genetic testing. We adopted robotic assisted surgery, using the da Vinci surgical system to perform operations on multiple organ systems. We also provide comprehensive genomic and genetic testing to assess the risks of developing hereditary conditions as well as to actively prevent some, like cancer and coronary artery disease. The comprehensive genomic and genetic testing also helps with pregnancy plans and prevents natal genetic disorders. Such information helps us prevent harmful reactions to certain medications, so physicians can choose the best medication or alternative for each patient. Robotic surgery and genetic testing are the medical trends. Bumrungrad will reinforce from now on to strengthen our medical care and treatment.